• Church Building
  • St Francis Waterfalls
  • Mens Fellowship
  • Palm Sunday
  • Service Time
  • Sub Deacons & Servers
  • Service Time
  • Junior Church
  • Altar
  • Altar Palm Sunday
  • Marondera Medical outreach
  • Marondera Medical outreach
  • Marondera Medical outreach
  • Bishop Chad & Charlene Hewart Charlene Hewat is the CEO of Environment Africa
  • Rev Sifelani and Charlene Hewat Planting a tree in memory of Nelson Mandela
Church Building1 St Francis Waterfalls2 Mens Fellowship3 Palm Sunday4 Service Time5 Sub Deacons & Servers6 Service Time 7 Junior Church 8 Altar 9 Altar Palm Sunday 10 Marondera Medical outreach 11 Marondera Medical outreach 12 Marondera Medical outreach 13 Bishop Chad & Charlene Hewart 14 Rev Sifelani and Charlene Hewat 15
jQuery Sliders by WOWSlider.com v4.8

Home

St Pauls Marlborough 132

St. Paul’s Anglican Church, CPCA, is situated on the corner of Harare Drive and Elizabeth Windsor Avenue, Marlborough. It is notable for its modern design and the 24 metre needle like spire which thrusts above the tall trees bordering the attractive gardens.In 1946 Harry Reedman, a young Air Force officer based in France bought a piece of land (farm) which is now Marlborough. Marlborough was unique in that it offered people with small capital resources a way out of their housing difficulties. It was a kind of hire purchase arrangement whereby you could rent a house with an option to buy it over a specified peiod. The scheme filled a need at the time and the houses offered were attractive with plenty of space on which to develop gardens. There was a considerable variety of designs to choose from and there was the prospect of tarred roads, schools and a bus service to the city. The first of these houses went up in 1948. Among those who made their homes in Marlborough at the time was a small group of Anglicans. It was from these beginnings that a committee was drawn and from which St. Paul’s Church Council emerged. On 1 October 1950, 12 ladies met in one of the houses in Mountbatten Drive, Marlborough and inaugurated the Marlborough Church committee, the fore runner of St. Paul’ Parish Council. It was decided to start a Sunday School to arrange regular church services and to start a church building fund. 10 days later another meeting was held under the chairmanship of the Revd Geoffrey Gibbon, Rector of Avondale, at which it was to form the Marlborough Church Women’s Association Mrs Iris Nicholson was the first chairperson. The association was formally inaugurated on 3 January 1951 and the objects of the organisation were designated as follows: • To bring people together socially in Marlborough • To organise the work of the church, especially the raising of funds to purchase the land which was set aside • To raise money to build a hall on the church stand which would be made available to all denominations for church services free of charge. • To ddetermine that the hall would, until other arrangements might be made, act as a centre for worship, work and recreation for the whole community of Marlborough. • To invite women of all denomination to join the association so that they might share the work and the various social avtivities it was planned to introduce. The first thing the ladies did was to raise money to buy the church stand. They fund raised by having fetes, donations, selling teas, cakes, biscuits and street collections. In 1954 the Church Hall was completed and dedicated on the 27th June of the same year by Edward Paget, Archbishop of Central Africa at an interdenominational service where Rupert Cranswick and Revd John Cowie participated. In 1955 St. Paul’s Marlborough became a chapelry. The new Rector, Leslie Gilbert was welcomed at St. Paul’s Chapelry on 7 October 1954. St. Paul’s became the parish church of Marlborough in 1962 with Revd Leslie Gilbert as rector.

Web Design By SED Solutions (PBC)